My ZEMI time ^_^

In Japan, Zemi or short of Zeminaru (in English is seminar) become a regular activities in every laboratory. Usually each laboratory has zemi once in a week. In my laboratory, one or two persons will present the review of a journal and then we discuss the journal together. We have the zemi once a week in Friday, started from 4 pm and usually it will be over around 6 pm. So, each person has to do the presentation around 15-20 minutes, and after that we discuss the journal around 40 minutes.

Beside Zemi, in my lab we also  have group meeting. Different from ZEMI, in group meeting it just a simple presentation that will spend 15 minutes.  In the last two week, I've also finished present my simple journal in Group Meeting.My journal was about soybean research in human. It was a simple journal but interesting ^_^
my simple journal presentation :)

Last Friday (Dec 19th, 2014) is my turn to present the journal, and it also became the last Zemi in this year in my laboratory. Although I've already present journal in group meeting, but in Zemi it becomes so different. I was so nervous. My journal was about the key compounds that contribute in green tea taste. The journal title was “Identifying key non-volatile compounds in ready-to-drink (RTD) green tea and their impact on taste profile. This journal was published in Food Chemistry Volume 155 page 9-16, 2014. From 7 RTD, the researcher got 39 compounds that may contribute to astringency, bitterness and umami taste of green tea. From 39 compounds, they eliminated un-important compound by dose-over-threshold (DOT) assay and taste-omission-test (TOT) and they obtained 4 key compounds. They are, astringent and bitter-tasting EGCG, bitter tasting caffeine, umami tasting L-glutamic acid, and “rounded” sensation Theanine.
Haha,, sorry It become a little bit serious ^_^
My paper seminar handout :) 

I was too nervous to present this paper and I didn’t prepare too much. The discussion started with the simple question. What’s the difference between sour and astringency? What is GMP? Why they choose EGCG not catechin? Is there any effect because of the differences of panelist nationality? And so on. Some of the question was estimated by me, but in some question I just only can say sorry. Haha,, so nervous.
The first slide

I started my presentation at 4 pm, and it finished at 4.50 pm. Although I was not satisfied enough with my Zemi, but I can say “anshinshimashita”. Finally it’s over. ^_^
What I’ve learn at the day was about how important we select journal or about making decision. And if you already determined, so please prepare the presentation well and also be ready for the worst condition. If we presented one paper, it means that we should at least read and learn 10 supporting paper that related to our paper. Stand up proudly and keep smiling in discussion time. You are the best at that point!

So, now my focus is only to my research. Whatever the result, I shuld never give up! Keep moving forward. We’ve never known about the future; just believe that God will give us the best if we are also tried the best.
Ganbarimashou..
^_^

  

Location: Hokkaido University, 5 Chome Kita 8 Jōnishi, Kita-ku, Sapporo-shi, Hokkaidō 060-0808, Jepang
This entry was posted in , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a reply